Please check our website, read your member emails or closely follow our chat to stay up to date with the current Corona restrictions.
- We want to cultivate a "Willkommenskultur" (culture of welcoming people). This means that all members are explicitly asked to be generally friendly to everyone, but especially to newcomers to the space. Be welcoming and say hello, and also try to actively involve them in current activities. We would like to have a space where even shy people can quickly make new friends, but please try not to be pushy.
- Feel free to always ask people in the space to introduce themselves. Please do not feel offended if someone asks you to introduce yourself, even if you have been an actice member for many years. We want to encourage everyone to get to know each other and be aware of who is in the room.
- All members are requested to ensure that these rules are followed. If someone breaks a rule, please inform the person in a friendly manner. (If they regularly disobey, please contact one of the active longtime members (e.g. xRoots) or alert the rocket #general chat).
- Depending on the severity of the violation, failure to comply with the Space Rules may result in the withdrawal of key authorisation, machine usage authorisation or termination of membership without notice.
- Please respect peoples privacy. Don't take or publish any pictures or information about them without their prior consent.
- We would like you to feel comfortable at our space. That's why xHain is smoke-free. If you’re an asshole, e.g. sexist, racist, or homophobic, please don’t bother coming.
- Awareness: If you wish to discuss a personal matter in confidence, you can contact one of the following people:
- @trial.error (she/her)
- @felix (he/him)
- Please direct new members or people interested in xHain to the "Welcome to xHain" Wiki page.
After some complaints, we agreed with the neighbours on the following points:
- No noise (lasercutting, drilling, sawing, loud music etc.) between 8pm and 9am.
- No long-lasting noise. This applies especially to the laser cutter: after 2 hours of usage take a 42min break. (Have a look at the usage list who used the cutter and for how long before you!)
- Sunday is no-noise-day!
- Smoking is permitted in front of the space, but conversations must be kept at a low volume after 10pm. This also applies to the open Monday night! Please help point out to others to talk quietly.
There is no cleanup service personell at xHain. The cleanup crew is YOU!
Always leave xHain/the work area cleaner than you found it! This means: clean up your own stuff as well as stuff left lying about from other people.
- Waste: If you find the rubbish bins are full, please empty them in the back yard. (During Covid19 times this is especially true for the bathroom waste bin, but basically for all waste bins at all times.)
- Dishes: There is no cleaning service for the kitchen. If you see unwashed dishes/glasses in the sink, even if they are not yours, please clean them anyway.
- Refrigerator/Drinks: If the box of bottles (Leergut/Pfandkasten) is full and/or the fridge is empty, then please carry the empty bottles down into the basement and bring full beverage boxes back to the kitchen. Please help to keep the fridge stacked. Drinks are organized and paid by members for members. Costs have to be covered by the members, so please remember to feed the drink donation piggy.
- Workplaces/workbenches: Please leave the work area cleaner than you found it. Clean up tools, throw away waste and clear the work area.
- Toilet: Sit down. No peeing standing up.
In case of an emergency/someone is in danger, please contact police/fire brigade (tel: 112) immediately. In case of a serious rule violation alert an active longtime member (e.g. xRoots) or the rocket #general chat.
- Please make sure that no one uses machines that require instruction, such as CNC, lasercutter or 3D-printers, without first receiving instruction and permission from an authorised person. See section "Use of tools, machinery and devices".
- Strangers/unauthorised persons: When you are at xhain, always pay attention to your surroundings and who enters or leaves the room.
- During non-public events/activities:
- Consider locking the front door after you in order to not be disturbed by strangers.
- If someone you don't know enters the room, approach this person in a friendly way, ask for their name, current activity/status, and if they are a xhain member. If the person does not have key authorisation (i.e. cannot open the locked door from the outside), ask the person to leave xHain. Do not be deceived by a self-evident posture ("I belong here")!
- Do not allow strangers without key authorisation to take material, tools or equipment with them.
- If the stranger claims to have permission from an xHain member to stay/take away a device, please check this claim with this member or deny the request.
- For public events:
- If you are in charge of the event, please read the section on "Workshops & Events".
- If you are not in charge of the event, please stay alert and help out to ensure that our space rules are followed. For example, strangers should not take beverages from the the fridge without paying or registering in the tally sheet ("Strichliste"), the workshop leader(s) should always greet newcomers in a friendly manner, please make sure no one uses or takes equipment or material without authorization, etc.
- Fire extinguishers: there are several extinguishers at different locations throughout the space. Please acquaint yourself with the locations and usage instructions. Also see section "Use of tools, machinery and devices".
- First aid: Above the workbench you can find band-aids and a first aid kit. After use or if something is missing, please alert #general chat immediately for replacement.
- It is strictly prohibited to sleep (spend the night sleeping) at xHain or turn it into a personal "living room"!
- Please throw away food/leftovers into a bin outside(!) of xHain. It attracts flies, rats and vermin.
- Do not make xhain unnecessarily dirty. Do not bring bicycles or similar into our space.
- Do not smoke indoors.
- Defects and damages: If you break a tool or you notice any damage, please post this promptly in the #general chat or contact an active longtime member (e.g. xRoots). Don't worry, these things happen. We won't blame you, we just want to be able to fix the problem.
- Also applies to non-instructed persons: If you enter the room and see the Lasercutter/CNC-milling machine in use, but the corresponding user is not within reach, please press the emergency stop or pull the plug of the CNC-mill, or press the pause and return buttons on the lasercutter!
- Machinery instructions: The use of the following machines is only permitted after instruction and personal permission of one of the authorised members. There are separate rules of conduct for these machines, they must always be followed. In case of uncertainty please ask again! The wiki documentation is only a reminder and does NOT replace personal instruction and explicit permission for use!
- Authorizations for machinery usage can be revoked if rules are disobeyed!
- These machines must not be left unattended! Do not leave the room! (Fire hazard, personal injury!)
- Authorized members to give instructions:
- Lasercutter: @felix, @lorxor, @trial.error
- CNC mills: @Martin1001
- 3D-printers: @felix, @Noise.james
- Fire: If a machine has actively caught fire, please extinguish an emerging fire with the available fire extinguishers.
- If the fire is already out of control, leave the room immediately and call the fire brigade (tel: 112).
- Attention, please do not overreact! It can happen that a workpiece in the laser cutter catches some flames. Normally the ventilation pulls the flames away. Using a fire extinguisher is usually not necessary. Fire extinguishers are expensive, so please only use when absolutely necessary.
- Also for non-instructed persons: Open the glass flap to stop the laser (the personal interlock gets triggered, the cutting laser stops, but the laser pointer continues its movement). If the flames do not stop, try to extinguish the fire or get help. If in doubt: safety first!
- Never return a fire extinguisher after use to its original storage place. Leave it on the floor and inform the #general chat or an active longtime member (e.g. xRoots). We will check if the extinguisher needs to be replaced.
- An empty fire extinguisher is not only useless but endangers human life!
¶ Materials and Storage Space
- Store your personal materials and tinkering projects in your member box.
- Please take home any larger projects that will not fit into your box. xHain is not a storage space.
- Upon request we have bigger boxes where you can store larger materials for up to one month. It must be labelled with your name, means of contact (e.g. rocket chat name, email etc.) and storage date.
- Any materials found at xHain may be considered common materials and may be used by anyone. Personal name tags are invalid and may be ignored. (This does NOT apply to tools and machinery!)
- If you use any common material at xHain, please donate a small amount to our donation box (pink piggy or unicorn).
The following applies to workshop leaders, even if they are not xhain members:
- Our "welcoming culture" is valid in the whole space also for non-members: It is your task to welcome new people to your workshop. Also say "Hello" to everyone else who enters the room.
- Make sure that your workshop participants follow our space rules.
We would like to keep the #general chatroom of our Rocket Chat (chat.x-hain.de) clean and clear. Topic specific requests therefore belong in the corresponding chatrooms. Please create separate "channels" or "discussions" for chitchat and small talk. Here is an overview of the most important channels:
- #general: for general enquiries
- #maschinenraum: about equipment (especially the laser cutter) that can be found in the machine room.
- #3dlab: about 3D printing and printers, 3D-scanners etc.
- #electronics: about electronics
- #avxhain: audio and video equipment, streaming software etc.
- #CNC: about the CNC milling machines in the basement and the corresponding meetups of @Martin1001
- #flohmarkt2: flea market, stuff to give away, or about our (maybe sometime in the future) hardware flea market event
- #hobelhoehle: wood workshop and processing, and welding (in the basement).
- #textiles: about textiles, sewing- or stitching machines etc.
- #mouser-orders: enquiries to other members for collective orders
- #playground: spamchannel to try out functions of the Rocket Chat (e.g. text formatting etc.)
- #jobs: job offers or looking for jobs